Home

[{"pageID":"461","type":"pages.location","title":"1. Boarding House","shortname":"boarding-house","options":"{\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8951,\"documentTitle\":\"Boarding House\",\"herodescription\":\"The arrival of St Gabriel\\u2019s School on Melbourne Avenue was symbolised by the laying of the foundation stone, in May 1927, for the construction of a building to accommodate the School, boarding house and staff living quarters. \",\"gallery\":\"542\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"474","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/boarding-house\/","description":"The arrival of St Gabriel\u2019s School on Melbourne Avenue was symbolised by the laying of the foundation stone, in May 1927, for the construction of a building to accommodate the School, boarding house and staff living quarters. This three-storey, mock Tudor style building has welcomed boarders through its doors since the school opened.","keywords":"","childOrder":"15","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892180}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/boarding-house-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-a1fbc.jpeg","heroInfo":"The arrival of St Gabriel\u2019s School on Melbourne Avenue was symbolised by the laying of the foundation stone, in May 1927, for the construction of a building to accommodate the School, boarding house and staff living quarters. "},{"pageID":"462","type":"pages.location","title":"2. The Chapel of the Annunciation","shortname":"the-chapel-of-the-annunciation","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"The Chapel of the Annunciation\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8952,\"herodescription\":\"The structure which houses the Chapel of the Annunciation started its life in 1972 as the school gymnasium. Under the guidance of architect Brian Dowling, the building underwent an extensive conversion and, in 1988, was officially opened as the School\\u2019s place of worship.\",\"gallery\":\"545\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"475","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/the-chapel-of-the-annunciation\/","description":"The structure which houses the Chapel of the Annunciation started its life in 1972 as the school gymnasium. Under the guidance of architect Brian Dowling, the building underwent an extensive conversion and, in 1988, was officially opened as the School\u2019s place of worship.","keywords":"","childOrder":"14","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892188}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/chapel-1-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-03004.jpeg","heroInfo":"The structure which houses the Chapel of the Annunciation started its life in 1972 as the school gymnasium. Under the guidance of architect Brian Dowling, the building underwent an extensive conversion and, in 1988, was officially opened as the School\u2019s place of worship."},{"pageID":"463","type":"pages.location","title":"3. Hargrave Oval","shortname":"hargrave-oval","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Hargrave Oval\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":9123,\"herodescription\":\"Despite having been part of the CGGS environment for decades, Hargrave Oval was not officially dedicated until 19 February 1998.\",\"gallery\":\"546\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"476","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/hargrave-oval\/","description":"Despite having been part of the CGGS environment for decades, Hargrave Oval was not officially dedicated until 19 February 1998. It was named after Mr Frank C Hargrave, a long serving member of the School Board and integral member of the Parents and Friends Association.","keywords":"","childOrder":"13","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892194},{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1463711000}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/oval-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-de89f.jpeg","heroInfo":"Despite having been part of the CGGS environment for decades, Hargrave Oval was not officially dedicated until 19 February 1998."},{"pageID":"464","type":"pages.location","title":"4. Waterman Centre","shortname":"waterman-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Waterman Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":9124,\"herodescription\":\"The Waterman Centre, built in 1984, was designed to be a functional and practical space for Creative Arts and Design. The building was named after Herbert Roy Waterman \",\"gallery\":\"547\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"477","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/waterman-centre\/","description":"The Waterman Centre, built in 1984, was designed to be a functional and practical space for Creative Arts and Design. The building was named after Herbert Roy Waterman who, in 1933, was the inaugural President of the Parents and Friends Association and first Chairman of the School Board. He remained on the Board until 1950 and was also one of the first shareholders in the company officially formed in 1935 to acquire the property for the school property.","keywords":"","childOrder":"12","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892264}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/waterman-centre-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-ab1f5.jpeg","heroInfo":"The Waterman Centre, built in 1984, was designed to be a functional and practical space for Creative Arts and Design. The building was named after Herbert Roy Waterman "},{"pageID":"465","type":"pages.location","title":"5. IT and Food Technology Centre","shortname":"innovation-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"IT and Food Technology Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8964,\"herodescription\":\"On 19 February 1998, the Information Technology Centre and Food Science Centre was opened along with the Drama Centre and the official naming of the Senior School\\u2019s Hargrave Oval.\",\"gallery\":\"548\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"478","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/innovation-centre\/","description":"On 19 February 1998, the Information Technology Centre and Food Science Centre was opened along with the Drama Centre and the official naming of the Senior School\u2019s Hargrave Oval.","keywords":"","childOrder":"11","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892270}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/final-innovation-centre-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-e2813.jpeg","heroInfo":"On 19 February 1998, the Information Technology Centre and Food Science Centre was opened along with the Drama Centre and the official naming of the Senior School\u2019s Hargrave Oval."},{"pageID":"466","type":"pages.location","title":"6. Senior School Hall","shortname":"hall","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Senior School Hall\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8955,\"herodescription\":\"The Senior School Hall was officially opened in 2004 (on the same day as the Music Centre) by His Excellency Governor General Major-General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC.\",\"gallery\":\"549\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"479","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/hall\/","description":"The Senior School Hall was officially opened in 2004 (on the same day as the Music Centre) by His Excellency Governor General Major-General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC.","keywords":"","childOrder":"10","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892276}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/hall-2-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-675b5.jpeg","heroInfo":"The Senior School Hall was officially opened in 2004 (on the same day as the Music Centre) by His Excellency Governor General Major-General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC."},{"pageID":"467","type":"pages.location","title":"7. Music Centre","shortname":"music-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Music Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8956,\"herodescription\":\"Originally constructed as the Assembly Hall and opened by the Prime Minister of Australia, Sir Robert Menzies on 20 September 1964, this building was converted to the Music Centre in 2004.\",\"gallery\":\"550\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"480","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/music-centre\/","description":"Originally constructed as the Assembly Hall and opened by the Prime Minister of Australia, Sir Robert Menzies on 20 September 1964, this building was converted to the Music Centre in 2004.","keywords":"","childOrder":"9","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892281}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/music-1-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-5b98f.jpeg","heroInfo":"Originally constructed as the Assembly Hall and opened by the Prime Minister of Australia, Sir Robert Menzies on 20 September 1964, this building was converted to the Music Centre in 2004."},{"pageID":"468","type":"pages.location","title":"8. Library","shortname":"library","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Library\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8957,\"herodescription\":\"The library you see today was originally constructed in 1972 after it outgrew several other locations including a small room in the Boarding House \\u2013 where the reception area is now located.\",\"gallery\":\"551\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"481","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/library\/","description":"The library you see today was originally constructed in 1972 after it outgrew several other locations including a small room in the Boarding House \u2013 where the reception area is now located.","keywords":"","childOrder":"8","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892287}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/library-2-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-418b2.jpeg","heroInfo":"The library you see today was originally constructed in 1972 after it outgrew several other locations including a small room in the Boarding House \u2013 where the reception area is now located."},{"pageID":"469","type":"pages.location","title":"9. Gabriel Centre","shortname":"gabriel-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Gabriel Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8963,\"herodescription\":\"The Gabriel Centre consists of the Lower Gabriel Centre, constructed in 1977 and the Upper Gabriel Centre which was added in 1990.\",\"gallery\":\"552\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"482","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/gabriel-centre\/","description":"The Gabriel Centre consists of the Lower Gabriel Centre, constructed in 1977 and the Upper Gabriel Centre which was added in 1990.","keywords":"","childOrder":"7","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892292}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/final-gabriel-centre-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-6f88e.jpeg","heroInfo":"The Gabriel Centre consists of the Lower Gabriel Centre, constructed in 1977 and the Upper Gabriel Centre which was added in 1990."},{"pageID":"470","type":"pages.location","title":"10. Drama Centre","shortname":"drama-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Drama Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8959,\"herodescription\":\"This modern, purpose-built facility was officially opened in February 1998 in conjunction with the Information Technology Centre. \",\"gallery\":\"544\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"483","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/drama-centre\/","description":"This modern, purpose-built facility was officially opened in February 1998 in conjunction with the Information Technology Centre. The location of the site proved somewhat challenging, however, under the careful guidance of Integrated Construction Management Services and architects from Collard Clarke and Jackson, a functional and attractive building was realised.","keywords":"","childOrder":"6","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892297}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/drama-centre-2-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-78c1e.jpeg","heroInfo":"This modern, purpose-built facility was officially opened in February 1998 in conjunction with the Information Technology Centre. "},{"pageID":"471","type":"pages.location","title":"11. Science Wing \/ B Block","shortname":"science-wing-b-block","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Science Wing \\\/ B Block\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8960,\"herodescription\":\"This impressive complex was constructed in two stages throughout 2011 and 2012. The original \\u2018B Block\\u2019 and science laboratories - which had been in use for over 50 years - were demolished to make way for the state-of-the-art buildings you see today.\",\"gallery\":\"553\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"484","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/science-wing-b-block\/","description":"This impressive complex was constructed in two stages throughout 2011 and 2012. The original \u2018B Block\u2019 and science laboratories - which had been in use for over 50 years - were demolished to make way for the state-of-the-art buildings you see today.","keywords":"","childOrder":"5","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892305}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/science-hub-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-31c95.jpeg","heroInfo":"This impressive complex was constructed in two stages throughout 2011 and 2012. The original \u2018B Block\u2019 and science laboratories - which had been in use for over 50 years - were demolished to make way for the state-of-the-art buildings you see today."},{"pageID":"472","type":"pages.location","title":"12. Jubilee Sports Centre","shortname":"gym-pool","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Jubilee Sports Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8961,\"herodescription\":\"Built to mark the 60th Anniversary of the School, the Jubilee Sports Centre was opened on 11 September 1987 after years of fundraising by the school community, Gabriel Foundation and the School Board.\",\"gallery\":\"554\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"485","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/gym-pool\/","description":"Built to mark the 60th Anniversary of the School, the Jubilee Sports Centre was opened on 11 September 1987 after years of fundraising by the school community, Gabriel Foundation and the School Board.","keywords":"","childOrder":"4","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892160}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/gym-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-ae6b4.jpeg","heroInfo":"Built to mark the 60th Anniversary of the School, the Jubilee Sports Centre was opened on 11 September 1987 after years of fundraising by the school community, Gabriel Foundation and the School Board."},{"pageID":"473","type":"pages.location","title":"13. Administration Hub","shortname":"administration-hub","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Administration Hub\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8962,\"herodescription\":\"The multi-purpose Administration Hub was completed in September 2010 and officially opened in May 2011.\",\"gallery\":\"555\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"486","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/administration-hub\/","description":"The multi-purpose Administration Hub was completed in September 2010 and officially opened in May 2011.","keywords":"","childOrder":"3","publishHistory":"[{\"action\":\"pageURLWasChanged\",\"oldName\":null,\"newName\":null,\"timestmap\":1461892172}]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/admin-hub-1-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-8c7c3.jpeg","heroInfo":"The multi-purpose Administration Hub was completed in September 2010 and officially opened in May 2011."},{"pageID":"474","type":"pages.location","title":"14. Junior School","shortname":"junior-school","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Junior School\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8965,\"herodescription\":\"In March 1972, the Junior School (located five minute\\u2019s walk away, on Grey Street) was officially opened much to the delight of the students and staff who happily relocated from a dilapidated wooden schoolhouse which had been erected on the Melbourne Avenue site.\",\"gallery\":\"556\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"487","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/junior-school\/","description":"In March 1972, the Junior School (located five minute\u2019s walk away, on Grey Street) was officially opened much to the delight of the students and staff who happily relocated from a dilapidated wooden schoolhouse which had been erected on the Melbourne Avenue site.","keywords":"","childOrder":"2","publishHistory":"[]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/junior-school-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-a0845.jpeg","heroInfo":"In March 1972, the Junior School (located five minute\u2019s walk away, on Grey Street) was officially opened much to the delight of the students and staff who happily relocated from a dilapidated wooden schoolhouse which had been erected on the Melbourne Avenue site."},{"pageID":"475","type":"pages.location","title":"15. Early Learning Centre","shortname":"early-learning-centre","options":"{\"documentTitle\":\"Early Learning Centre\",\"columns\":\"2\",\"sitemapPriority\":\"\",\"sitemapChangeFreq\":\"Monthly\",\"hero\":8966,\"herodescription\":\"The Early Learning Centre, located at the western end of the Junior School campus was opened in May 2004. This co-educational centre is designed to create a stimulating, challenging and safe learning environment for our youngest students.\",\"gallery\":\"557\"}","siteID":"2","publishDate":null,"parentID":"460","contentID":"488","active":"1","locked":"0","groupAccess":null,"showInNav":"1","route":"\/locations\/early-learning-centre\/","description":"The Early Learning Centre, located at the western end of the Junior School campus was opened in May 2004. This co-educational centre is designed to create a stimulating, challenging and safe learning environment for our youngest students.","keywords":"","childOrder":"1","publishHistory":"[]","excludeFromStaticCache":"0","heroMapURL":"\/storage\/cache\/elc-2-w223-q30-canberra-girls-grammar-school-heritage-walk-b6807.jpeg","heroInfo":"The Early Learning Centre, located at the western end of the Junior School campus was opened in May 2004. This co-educational centre is designed to create a stimulating, challenging and safe learning environment for our youngest students."}]

Introduction

The Heritage Walk is a self-guided walking tour which explores the 90 year architectural and cultural history of Canberra Girls Grammar School. Read more

Get started

The Canberra Girls Grammar School Heritage Walk may be commenced at any of the fifteen iconic locations and takes a little over one hour to complete. Comfortable shoes are advisable. This website is a mobile-friendly online guide to accompany the walk.

QR Code

Before commencing the walk, download the free QR code reader app onto your smart device via your relevant app store. 

Find the QR code on signage at each building. Each location has its own code which is linked to the relevant page on the Heritage Walk website.